Enhanced South Georgia Historic Newspapers

The Digital Library of Georgia is pleased to announce the re-release of the enhanced South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive:

Thomasville Daily Times Enterprise
Thomasville Daily Times Enterprise, May 7, 1915

http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/sgnewspapers

The South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive is now compatible with all current browsers and provides access to seventeen newspaper titles published in ten cities from 1845 to 1922 without the use of plug-ins or additional software downloads. Consisting of over 148,000 newspaper pages, the website provides historical images that are both full-text searchable and can be browsed by date.

The archive includes the following South Georgia newspaper titles: Albany Herald (1892-1893, 1900-1901, 1906), Albany News (1867-1892), Albany Patriot (1845-1866), Americus Times Recorder (1881-1921), Bainbridge Democrat (1872-1909), Bainbridge Search Light/Post-Search Light (1901-1922), Brunswick Advertiser/Advertiser and Appeal (1875-1889), Cuthbert Appeal (1866-1886), Sumter Republican (1870-1885), Tifton Gazette (1892-1919), Thomasville Times Enterprise (1873-1922), Valdosta Times (1908-1912), Vienna News (1902-1918), Vienna Progress (1893-1904), Waycross Headlight (1884-1887), Waycross Herald (1892-1914), and Waycross Journal (1901-1914).

The South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive is a project of the Digital Library of Georgia, as part of the Georgia HomePLACE initiative. The Digital Library of Georgia is a project of Georgia’s Virtual Library GALILEO and is based at the University of Georgia. Georgia HomePLACE is supported with federal LSTA funds administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Georgia Public Library Service, a unit of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia.

Other newspaper archives available through the Digital Library of Georgia include the Athens Historic Newspapers Archive (1827-1928), the Savannah Historic Newspapers Archive (1819-1880), the Atlanta Historic Newspapers Archive (1847-1922), the Macon Telegraph Archive (1826-1908), the North Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive (1850-1922), the Columbus Enquirer Archive (1828-1890), the Milledgeville Historic Newspapers Archive (1808-1920), the Southern Israelite Archive (1929-1986), the Mercer Cluster Archive (1920-1970), and the Red and Black Archive (1893-2006). These archives can be accessed at http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/MediaTypes/Newspapers.html

Share

College Football

It is that time of year again, and in the spirit of things we present a celebration of Georgia’s college football history (through the lens of the Digital Library of Georgia’s collections, of course).

Photograph of a football team from Georgia Normal and Agricultural College between 1920 and 1925. The college is now known as Albany State University and their Golden Rams football team continues to compete today. From the Vanishing Georgia Collection.

Image of Oglethorpe University’s 1927 Varsity “Ends.” From left to right, “Monk” Clement, Roy Hancock, Darnell, and Jeff Burford. From the  Oglethorpe University Library’s Athletics Photographs Collection.

Photograph of Sanford Stadium at the University of Georgia in November 1962. When this photograph was taken, the stadium held 36,000 Georgia Bulldog fans. Today it has a capacity of over 92,000. From the Historic Architecture and Landscapes of Georgia Collection.

To find out more about the history of college football in Georgia, check out the New Georgia Encyclopedia articles on John Heisman, Georgia Southern Football, Herschel Walker, and the Chick-fil-A Bowl.

Share