West Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive

The Digital Library of Georgia is pleased to announce the availability of a new online resource: The West Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive.

http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/wgnewspapers

Butler Herald Office, Butler Herald, Sept. 4, 1919
Butler Herald Office, Butler Herald, Sept. 4, 1919

The West Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive provides online access to six newspaper titles published in five west Georgia cities (Butler, Carrollton, Dallas, Douglasville, LaGrange) from 1843 to 1942. Consisting of over 37,000 newspaper pages, the archive provides historical images that are both full-text searchable and can be browsed by date. The site is compatible with all current browsers and the newspaper page images can be viewed without the use of plug-ins or additional software downloads.

The archive includes the following west Georgia newspaper titles: Butler Herald (1876-1942), Carroll Free Press (Carrollton) (1883-1922), Douglas County Sentinel  (Douglasville) (1917-1922), LaGrange Herald (1843-1844), LaGrange Reporter (1857-1914), Paulding/Dallas New Era (1883-1908). The Digital Library of Georgia will add additional titles from the region over time.

The West Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive is a project of the Digital Library of Georgia, as part of the Georgia HomePLACE initiative. The Digital Library of Georgia is a project of Georgia’s Virtual Library GALILEO and is based at the University of Georgia. Georgia HomePLACE is supported with federal LSTA funds administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Georgia Public Library Service, a unit of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. Digitization is also made possible through the generosity of the Taylor County Historical-Genealogy Society and the Flint Energies Foundation.

Other newspaper archives available through the Digital Library of Georgia include the Atlanta Historic Newspapers Archive (1847-1922), the Macon Telegraph Archive (1826-1908), the Savannah Historic Newspapers Archive (1809-1880), the Athens Historic Newspapers Archive (1827-1928), the South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive (1845-1922), the North Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive (1850-1922), the Columbus Enquirer Archive (1828-1890), the Milledgeville Historic Newspapers Archive (1808-1920), the Southern  Israelite Archive (1929-1986), the Red and Black Archive (1893-2006), and the Mercer Cluster Archive (1920-1970). These archives can be accessed at http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/MediaTypes/Newspapers.html

Share

Lamar Dodd (1909-1996)

Courtesy of LaGrange College

Today would be the 101st birthday of Georgia artist Lamar Dodd. He was born September 22, 1906 in Fairburn and raised in LaGrange, Georgia. The New Georgia Encyclopedia provides an overview of his life and artistic career. You can also find his birthday marked on “This Day in Georgia History” at the GeorgiaInfo site.

Carnival at Night (1939), Courtesy of Lamar Dodd Art Center, LaGrange College

Dodd left Georgia as a youth to study in New York, but would return and take a position with the University of Georgia (UGA). He would eventually lead the art department at UGA from 1938 until 1973. In 1996, the art school was renamed the “Lamar Dodd School of Art” in his honor (a more in depth account of his work with the art school can be found here). The Lamar Dodd Art Center, part of LaGrange College, is also named in his honor.

A photograph¬† of his childhood home in LaGrange can be found in the Troup County Digital Archives Project Photograph Database and in the Hubert Bond Owens and John Linley Image Collections at the Owens Library. And finally, you can read about Lamar Dodd in Thomas Reed’s The History of the University of Georgia (Chapter 16). A manuscript page of the chapter titled “Department of Art, Lamar Dodd” is viewable through an online collection from the Hargrett Library at UGA.

Share