The Digital Library of Georgia is pleased to announce the expansion of the South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive:
The South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive now provides access to nineteen newspaper titles published in twelve south Georgia cities (Albany, Americus, Bainbridge, Brunswick, Cairo, Cuthbert, Perry, Thomasville, Tifton, Valdosta, Vienna, and Waycross) from 1845 to 1923. Consisting of over 164,000 newspaper pages, the archive provides historical images that are both full-text searchable and can be browsed by date. The site is compatible with all current browsers and the newspaper page images can be viewed without the use of plug-ins or additional software downloads.
The archive now includes the following south Georgia newspaper titles: Houston Home Journal (Perry) (1870-1923) and Grady County Progress (Cairo) (1910-1917), in addition to the titles previously included in the archive: Albany Herald (1892-1893, 1900-1901, 1906), Albany News (1867-1892), Albany Patriot (1845-1866), Americus Times Recorder (1881-1921), Bainbridge Democrat (1872-1909), Bainbridge Search Light/Post-Search Light (1901-1922), Brunswick Advertiser/Advertiser and Appeal (1875-1889), Cuthbert Appeal (1866-1886), Sumter Republican (1870-1885), Tifton Gazette (1892-1919), Thomasville Times Enterprise (1873-1922), Valdosta Times (1908-1912), Vienna News (1902-1918), Vienna Progress (1893-1904), Waycross Headlight (1884-1887), Waycross Herald (1892-1914), and Waycross Journal (1901-1914).
The South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive is a project of the Digital Library of Georgia, a part of Georgia’s Virtual Library GALILEO and is based at the University of Georgia.
Other newspaper archives available through the Digital Library of Georgia include the Atlanta Historic Newspapers Archive (1847-1922), the Macon Telegraph Archive (1826-1908), the Savannah Historic Newspapers Archive (1809-1880), the Athens Historic Newspapers Archive (1827-1928), the West Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive (1843-1942), the North Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive (1850-1922), the Columbus Enquirer Archive (1828-1890), the Milledgeville Historic Newspapers Archive (1808-1920), the Southern Israelite Archive (1929-1986), the Red and Black Archive (1893-2006), and the Mercer Cluster Archive (1920-1970). These archives can be accessed at http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/MediaTypes/Newspapers.html
The Georgia Archives Institute has just been named the recipient of a 2016 Distinguished Service Award from the Society of American Archivists (SAA).
From SAA’s web site:
“The Georgia Archives Institute (GAI) is the 2016 recipient of the Society of American Archivists’ Distinguished Service Award. Created in 1964, the award recognizes an archives institution, education program, nonprofit organization, or government organization that has given outstanding service to its public and has made an exemplary contribution to the archives profession.
For 49 years, GAI has provided an intensive training course in the practical and theoretical foundation for archival enterprise, enabling 775 archivists from thirty-six states and nine countries to understand and implement best practices in the management of archives. GAI’s far-reaching impact has led to the development of professional standards, diverse and inclusive collections, institutional partnerships, the education of archivists as managers and advocates, and a better awareness of the fundamental importance of historical records.
One supporter wrote that GAI has ‘filled a significant gap in archival education for many individuals at small to medium institutions who may shoulder archival responsibilities along with numerous other roles, who may have gained these roles in mid-career, or who may not have access to archival education courses.'”
Please join us in congratulating the Georgia Archives Institute on this achievement!
You can read more about SAA’s 2016 Fellows and Award recipients here.