Georgia’s Historic Newspaper Buildings

Newspaper buildings have been an ever-present part of Georgia’s city landscapes large and small for over two centuries. These structures are not only a source of local news but are also an integral part of their communities. Below is a collection of some of the most interesting historical newspaper buildings in the state and a bit about the stories behind them. The newspapers highlighted can all be found on the DLG’s Georgia Historic Newspapers website.

 

Savannah Morning News Building

From the February 22, 1876 issue of the Savannah Morning News

The Savannah Morning News building on Whitaker Street was completed in January 1876. The eighty-eight-foot tall structure featured a granite face and a cupola for visitors with a view of the harbor. Communication between the floors was handled with sound tubes and dumb waiters. The printing presses were located in the basement of the building, with the editorial rooms and a composing room on the fourth floor. The building is today home to luxury condominiums and the Savannah Morning News is now headquartered on Chatham Parkway.

 

Cherokee Phoenix Print Shop

Photograph of the print shop where the Phoenix was published, New Echota, Gordon County, Georgia, 1975. Courtesy of the Georgia Archives’ Vanishing Georgia Collection.

The Cherokee Phoenix, the first newspaper published by Native Americans in the United States, was produced at this print shop in the Cherokee capital of New Echota from 1828 to 1834. Editor Elias Boudinot innovatively printed newspaper articles in both English and Cherokee. The type utilized at the shop had to be custom made and was the first of its kind. In 1835, Georgia claimed Cherokee territory and seized the Phoenix printing press at New Echota. The Cherokee people were forcibly removed from the area by the decade’s end. A restored version of the building now stands as part of the New Echota State Historic State near Calhoun, Georgia.

 

Houston Home Journal Building

Photograph from the July 1, 1976 issue of the Houston Home Journal.

This photograph of the original Houston Home Journal building on Carroll Street and Washington Avenue in Perry, Georgia was taken around 1907. Editor John H. Hodges is seated in front. To his right is printing press operator Bill Harrison and standing behind Hodges are printers Mac Rainey and Dan Bateman. The streets outside of the building were lit by kerosene oil lamps, which are visible in the photograph. The Home Journal ran its office out of the wood frame building for over sixty years before relocating to an adjacent lot in the 1930s.

 

Augusta Herald Building

Photograph from the June 22, 1919 issue of the Augusta Herald.

The Augusta Herald Building was constructed in 1917 after the destruction of the paper’s previous building in a fire a year earlier. Architect G. Lloyd Preacher designed the four-story structure in the Italian Renaissance Revival style. It was constructed at a cost of $150,000 and was made of concrete to make it fire-proof. The printing plant was located in the rear of the building behind the offices. The structure is still located at 725 Broad Street and today serves as the headquarters for Morris Communications.

 

Clayton Tribune Building

Photograph from the January 23, 1914 issue of the Clayton Tribune.

In the early twentieth century, the Clayton Tribune published with a hand-operated press out of the second floor of this building on Savannah Street. The first floor housed a restaurant called the City Cafe. The establishment boasted a soda fountain, with magazines, candy, and cigars for sale. Meals ranged in cost from five to fifty cents and included oyster stew. The year after this photograph was taken the building was fitted with electric lighting for the first time.

Share

Forthcoming Newspapers – Fall 2021

banner for forthcoming newspapers to be hosted on the Georgia Historic Newspapers website

Over the next year, the Digital Library of Georgia will be adding a variety of new newspaper titles to the Georgia Historic Newspapers (GHN) website (https://gahistoricnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/). The digitization of these two groups of papers has been funded by the Georgia Public Library Service and the R. J. Taylor Foundation.

Below is the list of newspapers titles currently slated to be added to GHN in Fall 2021/Winter 2022.

Georgia Public Library Service-funded newspaper titles:

Advertiser (Cleveland), 1881

Brunswick Times, 1923-1932

Camila Enterprise, 1904-1926

Cleveland Advertiser, 1880-1881

Cleveland Courier, 1896-1965

Courier Sentinel (Ellijay), 1898-1899

Covington News, 1909-1924

Covington Star, 1885-1902

Ellijay Courier, 1877-1915

Ellijay Times, 1906-1915

Georgia Enterprise (Covington), 1889-1909

Pelham Journal, 1908-1924

Times-Courier (Ellijay), 1916-1924

 

R. J. Taylor, Jr. Foundation-funded newspaper titles:

Abbeville Chronicle, 1898-1901

Adel News, 1900-1904

Advertiser (Fort Gaines), 1887-1890

Advocate-Democrat (Crawfordville, Ga.), 1893-1899

American Union (West Bowersville), 1885-1893

Arlington Advance, 1879-1882

Ashburn Advance, 1897-1900

Banner-Messenger (Buchanan), 1891-1900

Baptist Reporter (Guyton), 1888

Blackshear News, 1878-1882

Blackshear Times, 1889-1901

Blairsville Free Press, 1892

Blairsville Herald, 1892-1902

Blue Ridge Post, 1893-1913

Bogart News, 1897

Bulloch County Banner (Statesboro), 1893

Bulloch Herald (Statesboro), 1899-1901

Bulloch Times (Statesboro), 1893-1898

Calhoun County Courier (Leary), 1882-1902

Carnesville Advance, 1899-1917

Carnesville Tribune, 1890-1894

Clay County Reformer (Fort Gaines), 1894

Clinch County News (Homerville), 1898-1911

Columbia Sentinel (Harlem), 1885-1923

Conyers Examiner, 1878-1883

Conyers Weekly, 1883-1888

Conyers Weekly, 1895-1901

Conyers Weekly-Banner, 1901-1902

Cordele Sentinel, 1899-1902

Correspondent (Roberta), 1892-1903

Crawford County Correspondent (Roberta), 1892

Crawford County Herald (Knoxville), 1890-1892

Crawfordville Advocate, 1895-1896

Crawfordville Democrat, 1881-1893

DeKalb News (Decatur), 1884

Democrat (Crawfordville), 1877-1881

Demorest Times, 1891-1894

Dispatch (Ocilla), 1899

Dodge County Journal (Eastman), 1887

DuPont Okefenokean, 1880

Eastman Times (Eastman), 1879-1887

Echols Echo (Statenville), 1916

Enterprise (Carnesville), 1890-1892

Enterprise-Record (Gibson), 1892

Excelsior News, 1879

Fannin County Gazette (Morganton), 1891

Fitzgerald Enterprise, 1897-1902

Fitzgerald Leader, 1897-1912

Fort Gaines Sentinel, 1895-1902

Fort Valley Mirror, 1880-1881

Franklin County Register (Carnesville), 1878-1888

Georgia Farmer (Statesboro), 1892

Gibson Record, 1892-1933

Hale’s Weekly (Conyers), 1892-1895

Hamilton Journal, 1881-1906

Hancock Weekly Journal (Sparta), 1869-1870

Haralson Banner (Buchanan), 1884-1891

Headlight (Gray), 1889

High Shoals Messenger, 1897

Industrial Banner (DuPont), 1892

Irwin County News (Ocilla), 1893-1897

Jasper News, 1885

Jesup Sentinel, 1890-1907

Jones County Headlight (Gray), 1888-1889

Jones County News (Gray), 1895-1906

Knoxville Journal, 1888-1889

Leader Fort Valley, 1897

Lincoln Home Journal, 1898-1902

Lincolnton News, 1882-1890

Lithonia New Era, 1890

Lumpkin Independent, 1891-1902

Monroe Advertiser (Forsyth), 1888-1902

Morgan Monitor, 1897-1899

Morganton News, 1891

Murray County Gazette (Spring Place), 1879-1879

Murray News (Spring Place), 1897-1909

North Georgia Times (Spring Place), 1881-1891

Ocilla Dispatch, 1899-1901

Oconee Enterprise (Watkinsville), 1887-1915

Oglethorpe Echo (Lexington), 1878-1898

Pickens County Herald (Jasper), 1888-1899

Pickens County Progress (Jasper), 1899-1926

Pike County Journal (Zebulon), 1888-1902

People’s Advocate (Crawfordville), 1893

Record (Wrightsville), 1897-1900

Rockdale Banner (Conyers), 1888-1900

Schley County Enterprise (Ellaville), 1886-1888

Schley County News (Ellaville), 1889-1900

Solid South (Conyers), 1885-1892

South Georgian (McVille), 1879-1880

Southeast Georgian (Kingsland), 1895-1932

Southern Record (Toccoa), 1897-1898

Southern Times & Planter (Sparta), 1874

Sparta Times and Planter (Sparta), 1874

Spring Place Jimplecute, 1891-1903

Statesboro Eagle, 1889-1891

Statesboro Star, 1894-1899

Stillmore Times, 1898

Sylvania Telephone, 1879-1907

Times-Journal (Eastman), 1899

Times & Planter (Sparta), 1874

Toccoa News, 1880-1889

Toccoa News and Piedmont Industrial Journal, 1889-1893

Toccoa News, 1893-1896

Toccoa Times, 1894-1896

Toccoa Times-News, 1896-1897

Toccoa Record, 1901-1902

Tribune (Buchanan), 1898-1901

Watkinsville Advance, 1880-1881

Wayne County News (Jesup), 1897-1910

Wiregrass Cracker (Homerville), 1883

Wrightsville Recorder, 1880-1902

Young Harris News, 1900

 

About the R. J. Taylor, Jr. Foundation

The purpose of the R. J. Taylor, Jr. Foundation Trust is to promote genealogical research and study in Georgia in conjunction with the Georgia Genealogical Society and the Georgia Archives. Grants are made to individuals and organizations to defray the expense of publishing (print or digital) records of a genealogical nature from public and private sources. The primary emphasis is on preserving and making available to the public genealogical data concerning citizens of Georgia who were residents prior to 1851. Visit the R. J. Taylor, Jr. Foundation at taylorfoundation.org

About the Georgia Public Library Service

Georgia Public Library Service empowers libraries to improve the lives of all Georgians.

We provide innovative, scalable library technology and services; staff training and best practices; grant administration and more to create equity in library experience for patrons, no matter where they live.

We also work with elected officials to ensure they understand the critical role that libraries play in meeting the immediate and long-term needs of citizens.

Georgia Public Library Service is the state library administrative agency and a unit of the Board of Regents, University System of Georgia.

Visit Georgia Public Library Service at georgialibraries.org

Share