ATHENS, Ga. — In conjunction with our partners at the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta, the Georgia Bulletin (1963-1980) is now available for viewing at the Georgia Historic Newspapers website. These newspapers will contribute to a broader scholarship about Catholicism in Atlanta as well as in Georgia. The Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive website provides access to these newspapers, enabling full-text searching and browsing by date and title. The site is compatible with all current browsers and the newspaper page images can be viewed without the use of plug-ins or additional software downloads. The archive is free and open for public use.
In the first issue of the Georgia Bulletin, published January 4, 1963, Archbishop Paul J. Hallinan, the first archbishop for the newly elevated Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta, remarked:
“The religious press is not intended to be a ‘house organ’ or a ‘trade sheet.’ Its whole reason for being is that it might enter the community bearing light and courage—light enough to expose society’s ills as well as its strengths; courage enough to inspire justice and charity in those who might falter along the path.”
Angelique M. Richardson, the director of archives and records for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta emphasizes: “By making these digitized issues of our diocesan newspaper available to the public through the Georgia Historic Newspapers Project, we greatly hope that these words inspire researchers to learn more about the history of Catholics in North Georgia.”
She adds: “We would never have been able to accomplish a project like this on our own.”
About the Georgia Bulletin
To fight Catholic prejudice and resist the spread of false information regarding Catholic beliefs and history, the Catholic Laymen’s Association (CLA) of Georgia was founded in 1916.
The CLA published pamphlets that explained Catholic beliefs for several years and before establishing the Bulletin of the Catholic Laymen’s Association of Georgia, in January of 1920. The Bulletin ran as a monthly newspaper out of Augusta until 1956 when the organization changed the name to the Bulletin of the Catholic Laymen’s Association of Georgia, Official Newspaper for the Diocese of Savannah & Atlanta; this change coming after the diocese divided into two regions, Atlanta and Savannah.
For a few months in early 1958, the Diocese of Savannah published the Savannah Bulletin, before the Bulletin began circulating two editions for Savannah and Atlanta through 1962. In 1963, the publication split into two separate diocesan papers, the Georgia Bulletin (Archdiocese of Atlanta) and the Southern Cross (Diocese of Savannah). The CLA disbanded in 1962, but the Georgia Bulletin continues publication as the official newspaper of the Archdiocese of Atlanta.
About the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta
The Archdiocese of Atlanta encompasses the northern half of Georgia covering 21,445 square miles. Specifically, it includes the 69 counties north of and including the following counties: Lincoln, McDuffie, Warren, Hancock, Baldwin, Putnam, Jasper, Monroe, Upson, Meriwether, and Troup. The Archdiocese of Atlanta is a vibrant, diverse, and rapidly growing Catholic community.
As of 2020, there are 102 parishes and missions, 293 diocesan and religious priests, 46 seminarians, 66 women religious, 18 archdiocesan Catholic schools, 1.2 million Catholics, and 7.5 million people in north-central Georgia.
The history of the Archdiocese goes back to the late 1700s. Originally part of the Diocese of Savannah, Atlanta was made a diocese in 1956 and made an archdiocese in 1962.
About the Digital Library of Georgia
Based at the University of Georgia Libraries, the Digital Library of Georgia is a GALILEO initiative that collaborates with Georgia’s libraries, archives, museums, and other institutions of education and culture to provide access to key information resources on Georgia history, culture, and life.
This primary mission is accomplished through the ongoing development, maintenance, and preservation of digital collections and online digital library resources. DLG also serves as Georgia’s service hub for the Digital Public Library of America and as the home of the Georgia Newspaper Project, the state’s historic newspaper microfilming project.
Visit the DLG at dlg.usg.edu.