South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive Expansion

The Digital Library of Georgia is pleased to announce the expansion of the South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive:

gcp1913-0195
From the Grady County Progress, August 29, 1913

sgnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/

The South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive now provides access to nineteen newspaper titles published in twelve south Georgia cities (Albany, Americus, Bainbridge, Brunswick, Cairo, Cuthbert, Perry, Thomasville, Tifton, Valdosta, Vienna, and Waycross) from 1845 to 1923. Consisting of over 164,000 newspaper pages, the archive provides historical images that are both full-text searchable and can be browsed by date. The site is compatible with all current browsers and the newspaper page images can be viewed without the use of plug-ins or additional software downloads.

The archive now includes the following south Georgia newspaper titles: Houston Home Journal (Perry) (1870-1923) and Grady County Progress (Cairo) (1910-1917), in addition to the titles previously included in the archive: Albany Herald (1892-1893, 1900-1901, 1906), Albany News (1867-1892), Albany Patriot (1845-1866), Americus Times Recorder (1881-1921), Bainbridge Democrat (1872-1909), Bainbridge Search Light/Post-Search Light (1901-1922), Brunswick Advertiser/Advertiser and Appeal (1875-1889), Cuthbert Appeal (1866-1886), Sumter Republican (1870-1885), Tifton Gazette (1892-1919), Thomasville Times Enterprise (1873-1922), Valdosta Times (1908-1912), Vienna News (1902-1918), Vienna Progress (1893-1904), Waycross Headlight (1884-1887), Waycross Herald (1892-1914), and Waycross Journal (1901-1914).

The South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive is a project of the Digital Library of Georgia, a part of Georgia’s Virtual Library GALILEO and is based at the University of Georgia.

Other newspaper archives available through the Digital Library of Georgia include the Atlanta Historic Newspapers Archive (1847-1922), the Macon Telegraph Archive (1826-1908), the Savannah Historic Newspapers Archive (1809-1880), the Athens Historic Newspapers Archive (1827-1928), the West Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive (1843-1942), the North Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive (1850-1922), the Columbus Enquirer Archive (1828-1890), the Milledgeville Historic Newspapers Archive (1808-1920), the Southern  Israelite Archive (1929-1986), the Red and Black Archive (1893-2006), and the Mercer Cluster Archive (1920-1970). These archives can be accessed at http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/MediaTypes/Newspapers.html

Share

West Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive Expansion

The Digital Library of Georgia is pleased to announce the expansion of the West Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive:

nhd1903-0153
Herald and Advertiser (Newnan), May 15, 1903

http://wgnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu

The West Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive now provides access to thirteen newspaper titles published in seven west Georgia cities (Butler, Carrollton, Dallas, Douglasville, Fayetteville, LaGrange, Newnan) from 1843 to 1942. Consisting of over 67,000 newspaper pages, the archive provides historical images that are both full-text searchable and can be browsed by date. The site is compatible with all current browsers and the newspaper page images can be viewed without the use of plug-ins or additional software downloads.

The archive now includes the following west Georgia newspaper titles: Fayetteville Advertiser (1845), Fayetteville Chronicle (1886), Fayetteville News (1888-1925), Herald and Advertiser (Newnan) (1887-1909), Newnan Herald (1865-1921), Newnan Herald & Advertiser (1909-1915), Newnan News (1906-1907) and Newnan Weekly News (1905-1906), in addition to the titles previously included in the archive: Butler Herald (1876-1942), Carroll Free Press (Carrollton) (1883-1922), Douglas County Sentinel  (Douglasville) (1917-1922), LaGrange Herald (1843-1844), LaGrange Reporter (1857-1914), and Paulding/Dallas New Era (1883-1908).

The West Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive is a project of the Digital Library of Georgia, a part of Georgia’s Virtual Library GALILEO and is based at the University of Georgia. Digitization was also made possible through the generosity of the Taylor County Historical-Genealogical Society and the Flint Energies Foundation.

Other newspaper archives available through the Digital Library of Georgia include the Atlanta Historic Newspapers Archive (1847-1922), the Macon Telegraph Archive (1826-1908), the Savannah Historic Newspapers Archive (1809-1880), the Athens Historic Newspapers Archive (1827-1928), the South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive (1845-1922), the North Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive (1850-1922), the Columbus Enquirer Archive (1828-1890), the Milledgeville Historic Newspapers Archive (1808-1920), the Southern  Israelite Archive (1929-1986), the Red and Black Archive (1893-2006), and the Mercer Cluster Archive (1920-1970). These archives can be accessed at http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/MediaTypes/Newspapers.html

Share